Pages

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

I've clocked about 3 hours of bonechilling gameplay over the last two days. Three hours in two days? I have quit the game entirely 4 times, paused it tens of times and complained to way to many people to ever be able to cover up the fact that this game makes me want to cower in the corner of my very dark room.

I think it's official: this is the most terrifying game I have ever played. It's not just about the scares, though; it's the suspence, the anxiety that you quickly develop.. And in the most desperate of times, the keyboard mashing to attempt to jump on a crate, just so your feet aren't in the murky water.

Frictional Games, a five man, indie gamedevelopment company from Sweden, whom have previously relesed the infamous "Penumbra" series have, last year, gone and made a game that I whole-heartedly recommend to you (see bottom for demo link). Amnesia: The Dark Descent is one of those unique experiences that really has to be played, no amount of anything will prepare you for what you have to deal with when playing this game, assuming you are willing to let yourself be immersed, that is. (Why bother if you aren't?)


Gameplay diversity may be limited, but it all adds to the immersiveness. The lack of options when you're cornered in the dark is half the reason this game effects me the way it does. By the time you're a good ten or twenty minutes into it, you'll start to empathise with the character, being startled by the slightest noise, confused by the story, your character's lack of memory; not knowing where you are or what is going on, and as your character slowly loses his sanity in the most dire of times, you find yourself losing your control over the game; I was stuck at a point where all I had to do was break open a door; even the most simple of problems proved confusing for me while I was under the stress of expecting something to jump out from every corner. As for the underlying story, I can't help but want to play the game more and more. If not for my adverse reaction to the 3am spooks that I must revert to every time I choose to pause the game to escape its reality, I'd probably be playing it right now. Then again, my fatigue probably isn't helping at all. However, I do insist you attempt the game in the dark of night; it only adds to the value of your purchase.. Trust me.


Speaking of which, Amnesia: The Dark Descent is cheap. You can get the game for US$20 or under, depending on whether steam is having one of its ass-kickery sales or not. But still, for the full price, it's an experience I've not received from anything in a long, long time, let alone to the extent that Amnesia does it, and, in my opinion, it's well worth the money. If you don't have the cash to spare, at the very least go and download the demo (link below) and see how long you last before you find yourself in my shoes.


Oh, and I best point out that this game is very much so for mature audiences only.. If you've peeked at this game for more than thirty seconds, you already know why.


Anyway, try the demo, get the game. I hope you get out of it what I have, post comments if you do.


>>Amnesia Demo

No comments: