Pages

The Anti-Abortion Movement

Conformity has become a real problem on social media. I see people effectively renouncing free will in an attempt to 'fit in', their morals and opinions nothing but a regurgitation of some political movement. Left? Right? I don't even know which side of the fence these political arguments are coming from any more; all I know is they're coming hard and fast, and without sitting down and fleshing out our own opinions, we cannot truly know where we stand.

I don't dispute that life begins at the moment of fertilization, I just don't care about it. Life being something that should be automatically cherished is not something I believe in. I view our existence in the world as simply a fleeting moment. Life has been around for so long that I don't think any of us can truly fathom our insignificance.

Not being religious, I feel like any exaggerated significance being given to a zygote is merely indoctrination by brainwashed, religious ancestry - you know, from back when they burned anyone who believed otherwise (that kind of thing convinces people to fall in line). Don't kid yourself: pro-life and anti-abortion are not the same thing; one is borne of optimism and encourages an ethical decision, the other is emotional pessimism and calls for action through control.

I look at the development of an embryo as a parasitic organism, because that's technically what it is; there is no possibility of removing it from the womb without killing it - not with our medical understanding and existing technology (don't get me wrong, if we could, I'd 100% support that). In actual fact, there is no documented case of even a foetus surviving before 21weeks, or just a tad over 50% into a pregnancy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetal_viability#Medical_viability

Because my moral scales tip toward valuing an adult human over an otherwise unremarkable life form, I will always side with the mother, her life and livelihood before that of her unborn child. I think it matters that someone has begun to make their mark on the world as well as the people in it, and I don't believe that innocent people should be punished without wrongdoing, including consensual sexual interactions - which I also happen to believe is a biological requirement for all healthy human adults.

Before anyone says "just wrap it" - no contraception is 100% effective, so there will always be outliers who did take precautions. Even so, if they didn't, is that still worthy of a criminal sentence? Because that's what forcing someone to commit to their pregnancy from the moment on conception entails; not only the pain of labour, but the 'physiological imprisonment' that expectant mothers must endure to bring a pregnancy to term is, I believe, worse than incarceration of an equivalent length (in what backwards place does incarceration include pain and suffering?). Take a look at criminal charges which result in even the 9 month sentence and ask yourself if the 'crime' of unprotected sex is truly worse.

I have the utmost respect for women who check all the boxes for a safe and healthy pregnancy, and I absolutely do not think that every woman has what it takes. It is my belief that no child should be born of a forced and likely reckless pregnancy, nor should one be condemned to a broken family or failing home. By the time any woman has made it to that magical 50% mark, I think she's had her time to decide what she wants, and what's reasonable, and that's probably where the line should be drawn. Honestly, we have enough troubles with careless pregnancies and bad parenting in first world society, and with overpopulation just around the bend, we can't even afford to have this debate, anyway... If the laws do change, they just won't last. Mark my words. This debate is in vain.

No comments: