Pages

Portal 2

Well, I don't get my order until Monday (the keyboard and mouse), but I occupied myself by playing through the Portal 2 singleplayer, which was quite enjoyable, actually. Enough so that I figured I should write a little piece on it..



Firstly, I've heard that people think it doesn't compare to the first, to which I must disagree. I did find a large portion of the tests took only one attempt to solve, as they were quite linear (seemingly no two ways to solve it, meaning it was obvious how to from the get go) and I only died a handful of times during the entire campaign; most of which just to imperfect leaps of faith or experimenting to see where a jump-pad would land me.

However, I think it serves as a neat sequel with a fair story and some pretty amusing voice acting if you take the time to listen to it. If anything, I think this game contained story elements that should have existed in the first, but no one knew how successful it was going to be, let alone the potential of a sequel. That said, I'd play through Portal 3 if they ever decided to go for it (and I would insist that they do). Spoilers aside, I don't personally see how they could set up a sequel with the way this game played out, but they did it with the first when I thought the same thing, there. And they did it well, at that.

As it's been said, there's plenty of eyecandy; a few sections of the game which are primarily focused on eyecandy, actually. The only thing I have to pick on during these segments is the too-convenient setup for portal play, and even though we're making our way around damaged and destroyed areas, it's not clear how people would get around without a portal gun.. But yes, a fair story and some time consuming puzzles, Portal 2 was worth the 30 bucks I snatched it up for while it was on sale (and I'm talking about for the singleplayer, alone). I'll hit up coop when Lexdog has a computer to play through it with me, as I promised her I would.

No comments: